Faux Fu

Sunday, February 06, 2011

Patti Smith, Robert Mapplethorpe, Jim Carroll

And then again, I find it is the private obsessions which drive me, occupy me, keep me engaged and entertained. Being snow-bound is a great test of your own powers of discipline, and of keeping the creative spark alive.

I've lately been obsessed reading
Patti Smith's book "Just Kids." A great book about two young artists finding their way. Funny, one of our friends brought it over, saying that the book reminded them of the Lovely Carla and I. I mean, in so many ways Patti and Robert's story has little to do with us, but in at least one significant way there is a great affinity - the great creative conspiracy of two souls committed to art, and to supporting and inspiring each other.

Patti draws a great portrait of Robert Mapplethorpe and her own story - the tale of the tough little sparrow, making her way in the rough, debauched streets of N. Y. and emerging as the Rock and Roll Poet, is extraordinary.

The other book that totally captivated me recently was
Jim Carroll's "Forced Entries." I picked it up at a used book store for $3.00. It sat on the table unread for awhile. I started reading it after the Patti book. It had me laughing so hard. What a great voice, what an indelible character. Carroll is a modern St. Augustine, experiencing all the glorious sins of a totally debauched N. Y. existence.

What's funny: the first entry in the Carroll book had portraits of Patti Smith and Robert Mapplethorpe. Strange convergence. That's the kind of thing that totally stokes my private obsessions. I realize I'm on some great journey where I just don't know what might be around the next corner. There is some creative thread, a journey of discovery, coursing through my life. I like that!

Blog Archive