Faux Fu

Saturday, August 28, 2010

The Pulse of the Moment!

We saw Mary Archies' production of "Cherrywood," last night. One of the great plays, perfectly realized. That's my take. It is very of the "now."

A stage full of actors (nearly 50) at a party out of control. At first, I sort of cringed when I heard it was 90 minutes long, but for me it went by in a heartbeat.

Great lines of dialogue, cryptic and prophetic. Great music and lots of amazing performances from a large cross section of the Chicago acting community.

I checked out some reviews this morning and I think lots of people missed the brilliance of this work. Maybe the best overview is Monica Westin's take in the Huffington Post. Although some of what she says seems absurd to me and a lot of what she says I don't agree with either. Why did it take her two viewings to "get it?"

This one hit the bulls-eye for me on the get go. A house full of people at a party out of bounds. Pop culture claptrap and apocalyptic rants about a world unmoored from any roots. A generation at sea in the murk of everything/all the time. Mary Archie is enjoying one of their most successful runs ever. 7 weeks or more of sold out shows.

They have hit a nerve. It's the pulse of the moment! Tonight is closing night. It's sold out!

Blog Archive