Faux Fu

Friday, July 24, 2009

Going Backwards into the Future

Okay, maybe I'm going backwards. I'm big into my iPod and everything. Still, I've been wanting to re-connect my phonograph, and play some of the old vinyl. There's a neighbor down my block who has an amazing analog system. Totally kicks ass.

I do think something gets lost when you convert to digital ones and zeros. There's something about a big, black, vinyl platter, spinning around with a little needle riding the grooves. Maybe it's the materiality of the thing. Still amazes me that moments from another time and place coming blasting out the speakers.

So I ordered up a new needle for the phonograph. Can't wait to get it, pop it in, and start spinning. And those old album covers were an amazing art form, they were the perfect vehicle for separating the seeds and stems.

What next? A rotary phone?

Blog Archive