Faux Fu

Sunday, January 18, 2009

New Tricks

I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks. Or maybe the old dog has to do it himself. My latest obsession is exploring new ways to play my guitar. I'm lucky to have friend who is teaching me some jazz tunes. My first session was quite humbling. It was kind of like going from English to Spanish. Suddenly the fret-board of my guitar seemed like a completely foreign land.

There's something so cool about going back to first principles. It opens new doors. My challenge is not to get bored, frustrated, impatient. Oh yeah, that's exactly what I have to do!

I'm also working on my slide guitar technique. Never really played that way before, but suddenly I can't get enough. I was lately inspired watching Ronnie Wood playing slide alongside Keith Richards. I love those two old English cats.

Anyway, there are so many great slide players: Robert Johnson, Duane Allman, Derek Trucks, George Harrison, Ronnie Wood, Muddy Waters, JB. Hutto, Johnny Winter, Mick Taylor, John Lee Hooker.

And there's this guy, Ry Cooder. He is some kind of American Treasure. Check him out on Woody Guthrie's "Vigilante Man."

Blog Archive