Faux Fu

Thursday, June 05, 2008

Zen Again - Hit Me!


We did the Zen thing again last night.  There were three (count em!) three Zen priests in the house, so the vibe was alive.  I had run earlier in the day, so I was relaxed and in the moment.

One of the priests did a little talk and he said that we were to be like "shining mirrors."  We reflect the world, register moments of our lives, but cling to none.  And that shining-ness, does it come from inside or outside?

One of the other priests talked about the "stick of compassion," it's an actual stick that is used to "wake up" a dozing meditator.  I guess in long sessions, when a lone pilgrim is zoning out, they can request a couple whacks from this stick to bring them back to the present.  I've not seen anyone request this stick yet!  

Anyway, I'm sitting on the black cushion, staring at the wall and then here comes Ian Dury and Blockheads.  Forget the stick of compassion, "Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick."

Blog Archive