Faux Fu

Monday, May 05, 2008

California Dreaming

My favorite sport to watch is basketball. The NBA version. I played the game as a kid, and briefly in high school too. I was kicked off my sophomore team because I wouldn't get a haircut. So it goes.

I usually skip the regular season. 82 games is way too many. I'll keep up on what's going on via the newspaper, but I go out of my way not to watch games on TV. Until playoff time.

My LA friends may be surprised to learn that my favorite team is the LA Lakers. Phil Jackson is my favorite coach of all time. I mean, any time, any sport. I don't think anyone else comes close. Maybe Vince Lombardi? I love Jackson's cannabis-clouded, Zen Master demeanor. Obviously, Jackson left his mark in Chicago. All those championships with Michael Jordan and Scottie Pippin.

Jackson has done another great job this year. He's got Kobe Bryant, the closest thing you can get to Jordan. Kobe is certainly the best player in the NBA today. But what is amazing about Jackson is how he is able to get 15 players all contribute to the cause. The triangle offense is a thing of beauty. Watch the team when Kobe sits down - that's when Jackson's approach shines.

I watched the game between the Lakers and Jazz yesterday. Should be a great series. It was a home game for the Lakers and the joint was rocking. Jack Nicholson got a lot of screen time. He's always court side, grinning like an over-stuffed Cheshire cat. I'd love to sit and chat with that dude.

How come no one ever mentions the other guy sitting right next to Jack? He looks like someone's crazy uncle. That's Lou Adler. Lou is a giant in the music industry - managed Jan and Dean, the Mamas and the Papas, Spirit, Carole King. Plus the dude directed Cheech and Chong's "Up in Smoke," - the stoner movie of stoner movies! Lou is a king. Can you imagine kicking back with those two guys, just chilling? Go Lakers!

Blog Archive