Faux Fu

Saturday, May 31, 2008

Bus Stop

I don't own a car.  Which means I use public transportation quite a bit. Trains and buses.  It's not a bad way to get around Chicago.  I recommend it.

I discovered this ad for Canadian Club at a bus stop.  For some reason it really resonates.  It made me laugh out loud - which is a good way to get your space at a bus stop.  

The ad is a window into an era that I vaguely remember - it's supposed to be around 1965 - no, I mean, as a kid, I remember that era vividly, I just rarely conjure up the picture.  Whoever came up with this got the details right!

This does not make me want to start drinking Canadian Club.  That kind of hard liquor just makes me go into a Linda Blair-like convulsions - spinning bed, green projectile - but this did bring me back to another time, another place - there was a generation of people living like this, an upwardly mobile business class that built the suburbs.  Those guys and gals are pretty much gone.  They laid down the gauntlet - one we never needed to pick up.  

This is just nostalgia. It's an advertising gimmick.  There ain't no going back, and drinking that rotgut will only give you a headache.  Still, this is a world I knew.  I was there - wondering what the fuck it was all about - was this really the world?

Blog Archive