Faux Fu

Thursday, February 28, 2008

Alien Invasion

I've been working on another little project that will see the light of day tomorrow. It's a play, or performance piece, or an experiment called, "The Flaming Eyeball." It's Black Forest's latest work. I wrote the text, but the realization of the thing is thanks to Davey J. our set designer, and the Lovely Carla, our creative dynamo, and our wonderful actors and co-collaborators Masha (from the great, mind-blowing Elefant Foot), Natasha wind sprite and gymnast, and Heather comedienne and improv goddess.

So it's a work from many minds and hands. Not sure how it all will translate to the stage and then filter into the minds of "the public." Our run-through last night was sort of painful. There's always one time (at least) during rehearsals when I hate a show. Last night was that time. But still, I think it's pretty good, and it's different, and with the great limber, fearless cast we have, we are exploring a wild physicality like never before.

So, it's kind of about my obsession with outer space, and what's a life, and well, there are three galactic space cadets that conjure a flaming eyeball hurtling through space and it's got aliens and Elvis and well, what else is there?

It starts with this little video, (the backing track is one of my favorite Sigur Ros songs) which I posted on YouTube. This version is cool, but it's pretty dark, which I like, but it doesn't really work on a big screen, so I'm gonna have to lighten it up for the run. So this is the internet only version! It's called "Alien Invasion." Like all the wildest shit, it's all true. Check it out.

Blog Archive