Faux Fu

Monday, February 05, 2007

Purple Rain


Well, that game last night was basically a real bummer. I mean, it was great to have the Bears in the SuperBowl, but no one dreams of going to the SuperBowl and losing. My team was basically kicked up and down the field. Being a fan is a strange phenomenon, I mean, I didn't throw one pass, make one tackle the whole season, but well, I watched, I cheered, I rooted, I expended energy on those dudes. Somehow, some way, a part of me is invested in the Bear tradition.

What would my father and his father (plus Halas, Lombardi) have made of Prince during the halftime show?

Actually, for me, Prince's perfomance was the best part of the night (except for Devin Hester's opening kickoff return for a touchdown). He opened up the great American songbook and gave us snatches of "Proud Mary," "All Along the Watchtower," and of course, "Purple Rain." He's a strange, ambi-sexual looking dude, he was up there prancing on a massive version of his own "symbol," playing killer guitar licks in a driving rain (how did they ground him to make sure we didn't witness some kind of royally purple electrocution?).

My favorite part was when Prince pulled out a custom made purple guitar, cranked up like some shred guitarist's royally twisted wet dream, and then a large billowing white sheet engulfed him and projected his image, larger than life in the center of the field. The way he held his guitar between his legs made him look like some strange little demon with a strangely twisted sexual accoutremont. How bizzare. How decadent, how gloriously PAGAN!

I guess that made it all worthwhile. The game was a soggy grind. But hell, the Purple Rained!

Blog Archive