Faux Fu

Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Our Secret Selves

Yes, well, 'man is mere complexity.' I think Sam Fuller puts his finger on why this is true. To me the following, (we finally find out why his book is called, 'A Third Face') seems new, and full of wisdom:

Fuller: 'See, you've got three faces. Your first face is the one you're born with, the one in the mirror every morning...Your second face is the one you develop thanks to ego, ingenuity and sensitivity, the one people identify as you...Then there's your third face. No one ever gets to see that one. It'll never show up in any mirror nor be visible to the eyes of parents, lovers, or friends. It's the face no one knows but you. It's the real you. Always privy to your deepest fears, hopes and desires, your third face can't lie or be lied to. I call it my mind mistress, guardian of my secret utopias, bitter disappointments, and noble visions.'

And what does this knowledge mean to Fuller? 'Not finding a catchy name in psychology for the private me, I came up with third face. It wasn't just a concept for me but a very real locale, captivating and whimsical, cozy and seductive, the geisha girl of my brain. I welcomed solitude because I wasn't really ever alone. Maybe I was an old fart, yet a helluva lot of dreams and desires were still knocking around deep down there. My third face always reinvigorated me. There was no chance of me drying up, no way I'd be running on empty. For me, the perpetuation of our secret selves is what makes life both survivable and glorious.'

Thank you, Mr. Samuel Fuller.

Blog Archive