Faux Fu

Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Limbo Doesn't Feature Now!

Limbo. We were talking about limbo. Kind of stuck in a weird realm, between holidays. 

I remember being a young boy, convinced that I'd end up in limbo. That was on my better days. A bad day, and I thought Hell was for certain.

I remember a Nun telling us that in Limbo you could "See Jesus, but couldn't touch him or speak to him." Jesus always did seem a little bit untouchable. And to be honest, I was always a little bit afraid of Jesus. He seemed like a serious guy, with not much of a sense of humor.

I never thought Heaven was for me.  The Nun was gonna end in Heaven for sure. And I could never imagine myself hanging out with that Nun.

So Limbo. Or Hell. 

And I didn't really sweat it. Burning in the flames of Hell for eternity just didn't scare me. I don't know why. Something wasn't adding up for me. Even in 3rd grade.

Now Limbo wasn't exactly scary either. Just seemed boring. Like a waiting room. Or an airport terminal. Waiting for a plane that never arrives. Boring. Being bored. Eternally. Now that was something I could imagine.

Anyway, for a long time I found myself, rebelling against my Catholic upbringing. But somewhere along the line I realized that if I was struggling against the Church, the Church still owned me.

I just dropped it. I dropped it all. Limbo. Heaven. Hell. Jesus. None of it made me blink. I let it all go. My childhood now seems like a dream. A dream I had. And I woke up. And that dream is just like any other dream. Sort of interesting. Sort of diverting.

I'm on to other games. And Limbo doesn't feature in it.


Blog Archive