Faux Fu

Thursday, January 15, 2015

In the Dark, with Love!

I have a film critic friend. That is, I have a friend who is also a film critic. He gets paid to see movies. Which you might think is a really  cool gig. Except, he has to see lots and lots of movies, I mean hundreds of movies in a year. 

He sees so many movies, many of them quite good, but many of  them not good at all. Lots and lots of lame time-wasters, bad movies, terrible ones, and just plain boring ones too. He told me that he sees so many movies, it's rare for him now to revisit movies. Too little time, too many new movies to see. 

Also just the act of seeing so many movies inevitably sort of makes him a kind of "jaded" viewer. He has seen it all, and all those movie cliches inevitably jump out at him. He sits in the dark, scribbling notes, making in the moment decisions about what he will say once the thing is over.

So, once you are a "movie critic" you come to every movie with your guard up, pencil ready, a critical eye. It's not the best way to enjoy a film! Movie viewing becomes a job. And where is the love?

I see very few movies. I mean, I love seeing movies, but am very, very selective. I usually filter the type of movies I go to see. Most of the blockbuster, franchise type movies are immediately eliminated. Animated movies? Nope! Dazzling displays of CGI? Nope! Which right there knocks down the list substantially.

I only see the movies I really want to see. That is truly a luxury. For me love rules. So anyway, since I am so selective, I usually totally sink into a movie. Totally give myself up to the film. No defenses. I walk in wanting, expecting to be astonished and overwhelmed. It's a very rewarding way to watch a movie. 

Yesterday we went to see P.T. Anderson's "Inherent Vice." Such a wonderful film. So funny. So intelligent. So layered. So perfectly, beautifully realized. The year is 1970, and the vibe of that year just totally overtakes you. It's funky. Quirky. Odd. Totally engaging. And Joaquin Phoenix, with those big Neil Young mutton chops, proves to be the Brando of our generation. Yes, I think so. And P.T. Anderson? What a fine film-maker. Truly an artist. He can go toe to toe with the best - Robert Altman, David O. Russell, Martin Scorcese, Wes Anderson, The Coen Brothers, Richard Linklater. And throw in Huston, Kubrick and Welles too. And Tarantino. Don't forget him!

Love. This is the kind of movie I tend to want to see again and again. That's another luxury I have. I see the movies I want to see, and if I love them, well, revisiting them often is essential. A really fine film should be savored, sunk into and lived with. Makes life richer, and deeper, more profound, oh yeah and funnier and more joyful too!

Blog Archive