Faux Fu

Saturday, June 14, 2014

"Alex Chilton was the Hamlet of Rock & Roll."

So yeah, I read the Alex Chilton biography, and I highly recommend the book to anyone interested in r&r, art, a life. I have a friend, who is a contemporary of Alex and I have been relating lots of things I've learned about Alex and his times to this friend.  

This friend was into "Power Pop" before Power Pop was even a thing that could be in fashion or out of fashion. This friend owns the original vinyl copies of Big Star's first two records. He was one of the few who hunted down and bought the records when they originally came out. This friend talks about Alex like he is/was an old friend, even though he never actually met the man.

I have written lots of words about Alex Chilton, but this friend, basically summed up the man, with one phrase, which I realize is a dangerous thing to do, sum up a man in a sentence, but I quote it here, I do think it catches the flavor of the man, and the importance of the life, and it says a lot, but not everything, but I think it's true, and it puts Alex Chilton in the realm of myth and legend, and that seems just about right...

"Alex Chilton was the Hamlet of Rock & Roll!"

Children by the million sing for Alex Chilton when he comes 'round. They sing, I'm in love. What's that song? I'm in love with that song. - Paul Westerberg


Blog Archive