Faux Fu

Sunday, February 02, 2014

The Essence of Soul!

I caught some of the Grammy's show last week. What a big, over-blown spectacle. Lots of glitz, lots of huffing and puffing. Lots of pretending that what was on stage was significant or compelling.

Still, I did love seeing Stevie Wonder sitting in with Nile Rodgers, Pharrell Williams and two French dudes dressed as robots performing "Get Lucky." It really did seem like the song of 2013. And well, sure, it could have been a big hit in the Disco Years long ago, but it strangely seemed  "of the moment" too.

And in my book Nile Rodgers and Stevie Wonder, well they are music royalty!

When the world sometimes seems like it's falling apart, imploding from the inside out, maybe getting lucky is as good as it gets.


And then, I started looking for some early Stevie Wonder, you know when he was "Little Stevie Wonder?" And I found Fingertips. Love, love, love it. Does anybody play a chromatic harmonica any better? I think not! The essence of soul! Stevie!


 

Blog Archive