Faux Fu

Sunday, May 30, 2010

Dennis Hopper is Dead...

No, no, he's just outside looking in.

I heard the sad news. And thought, the man will never be dead to me. He and some of his performances are indelibly etched into my consciousness. He will be with me until I'm no longer too.

I see the manic long-hair on his motorcycle in "Easy Rider," I see the mad prophet photojournalist in "Apocalypse Now," I see a twisted spoke of human degradation on the darkness on the edge of town in "Blue Velvet."

Those performances were so vivid, alive, and Hopper's intelligence, passion and charisma informed every moment.

Plus there's the legend: a friend of James Dean, the rebellious battles with the Hollywood establishment, phenomenal success with little biker movie, the drug-crazed madness, time in a nut house, the 4 hour cut of Easy Rider, the great lost masterpiece "The Last Movie," the out of control madness of Coppola's Vietnam opera.

He was a supreme method actor and in the method much madness and life. A mad visionary. I saw it too!

Blog Archive