Faux Fu

Thursday, February 18, 2010

How Many Monkeys to Wire a Tele?

If someone took apart my Telecaster Thinline guitar they would find a mess of wires and solder. I've taken the thing apart so many times, the patient is getting restless. It's kind of like a gall bladder operation over and over and over.

I've done all kinds of experiments and mods. Changed the pickups repeatedly; went from the standard setup to Texas Teles then pulled those guys out went back to standard and then ordered up some Seymour Duncan Hot Rails and installed those sleek black humbuckers. Lined the inside with copper tape, then pulled the shit out. Pulled out the 3-way switch and put in a 4-way switch.

Wired and then unwired and then rewired, then unwired, then rewired. I kind of did the Monkey Tech thing. I had 4 different wiring diagrams. They were all contradictory. I ended up wiring and unwiring until finally the thing worked right.

The inside of that poor sucker really is a mess. The solder job looks like a Jackson Pollock painting gone wrong, a study in silver. I must admit, I've taken the thing apart and put it back together as some kind of therapy. For some reason I like taking the damn thing apart.

But finally, I think it's done. Last night I put the Tele through it's paces at a Telepaths rehearsal. Man that thing played hot! I think my crazy ass tech approach actually resulted in a pretty unique guitar sound. And those humbuckers are so quiet - with a robust mid-range. Sweet!

Blog Archive