Faux Fu

Sunday, January 03, 2010

Ashes of American Flags

One advantage of being left out of the grab-bag on Xmas eve was that I got to buy a grab-bag gift for myself. It was all so self-reverential and hermetic of me.

So I got exactly what I wanted.

And what I got was an exquisitely well-made DVD of Wilco called "Ashes of American Flags." It's a film by Brendan Canty and Christopher Green. Really nice work.

It captures a band at their best. Filmed so beautifully. The sound is superb and if you like Wilco, like I like Wilco, well it's just such a great document of a hard-working band playing some really cool rooms around the country - Tipitina's in New Orleans, Ryman Auditorium in Nashvile, Cain's Ballroom in Tulsa.

You realize it's a good thing these guys aren't so big that they play stadiums. Good for them and the audience. You spend a little time on the road with them too, in their big tour bus.

They come across as really professional, committed musicians. Artists. So inspiring. Plus of course, they rock. Highly recommended.

Blog Archive