Faux Fu

Saturday, September 04, 2004

The Bohemian Credo: Liberty, Fraternity, Equality & Love

You sometimes need to break a routine to renew a routine. Pick a dot on a map, and like Brando in 'The Wild One,' just 'go,' (in my case, employing a four-door Hyundai, instead of a large, sputtering motorcycle). The familiar seems new again.

Back to the 'friendly confines' of our apartment in Evanston. Hot and humid this morning. I brewed up a thick pot of 'witches brew,' and caught up on the news. I picked up Thursday and Friday editions of the New York Times. Looking to cut through the smokescreen of opinion and spin. I read the text of both Cheney's and Bush's speeches. Language creates consciousness, so in that way, it is a branch of 'magic.'

My take is, Bush/Cheney want to conjure a simple world, Good versus Bad; they want to be seen as tough men, making tough decisions for a strong America. The key promise kept: TAX CUTS. I think this resonates with much of America. It all depends on who you are and where you live. We really still do live in a 'tribal society.' If you are a big city person, you tend to lean Democratic, (which I guess means moderation, restraint, diversity, nuance). If you are in Small Town America, tax cuts, a strong military, a 'don't tread on me and my kind' approach seems appealing.

How do you explain the Shrine to Gerald Ford? I talked to Dan Preston, the proprietor of the Lakeshore Bed and Breakfast. At the age of 22, he worked for Ford's failed bid in 1976. That seems unfathomable to me. A young kid dedicated to Gerald Ford's cause? We briefly talked, he explained it all, (he's worked for a Republican every election since) by saying, 'I hate paying taxes.' That simple. The problem for Democrats? How do we sum up our philosopy with one phrase? 'I'm for a progressive, socially just, equal-opportunity society.' Not very catchy.

The American Revolution was based on Taxes and Religious freedom. The Civil War was based on Taxes and Slavery. Even Ghandi became famous for resisting the British-imposed tax on salt. I believe the real wedge issue is Foreign Policy, but I fear that much of America does not care what goes on 'over there.'

Anyway, the divide in America exists from one community to another. Michigan is a good example. Grand Haven is white, Protestant, conservative. Traverse City, a little less white, more diverse, more liberal. 'Like people' tend to live with 'like people' (Evanston and Oak Park are good examples -- Carla and I have spent much of our time in diverse, progressive, communities). So we see and create the world we want to see and create. Can we look outside our senses five. 'Some are born to sweet delight, some are born to endless night.' -- William Blake. Can we create a world where everyone is free and able to pursue 'happiness?' I believe we need to try to create a world where all beings are treated equally --- with love, compassion, clarity. Thomas Merton asked people to pray for a better world. I believe if I can live with clarity and compassion, I can do my small part.

Blog Archive