Faux Fu

Monday, April 20, 2015

New is Better? We Don't Believe It!

I got to thinking about myself and my partner as economic entities. We buy lots of used stuff. We are not alone. Our visit on Record Store Day showed us that there is a thriving market of folks who like to buy used vinyl and CDs. I mean, maybe the new stuff gets the attention, but most of the store was stuffed with used vinyl records, CDs and videos.

We shop at thrift stores for clothes. We have the idea that older stuff, is better stuff.  We have a sensibility that says, "New and shiny is dazzling, but crappy, and wasteful." Why buy something new out of the box, when you can find a cool thing that's been around for awhile? I have an amazingly cool leather coat, that I purchased for $25 at a thrift store.  It looks like it's worth lots more, it's well-made, no flaws. Someone discarded it, but their discard turned out to be my treasure.

When it comes to musical instruments, you want to find that old, weathered guitar or amp. Something that has grown into itself. We shop local. We support small businesses. We are kind of on the margin of the economic scene. Looking for old, used stuff. We are told that new is better, but we don't believe it.

Blog Archive