Faux Fu

Friday, March 02, 2012

The National's "High Violet"

Another great album that has me entranced is The National's  "High Violet."  It is a powerful, beautiful, strange and haunting beast.

It's subtle too.  It took a few listens to really hear the lyrics and the lyrics are odd, weird, disturbing and they stick in your brain.  Plus the band is just great.  They are a unique group, they sound like no one else.  Matt Berninger has a dark, baritone voice, and a smooth, soothing delivery.  The lyrics are always poetic, dreamy, weird and thought-provoking.  Fractured slices of intelligence.

Matt is singing about a world, our world, and it's a strange beast we are living in.

The National is certainly one of the best bands making music today...  here are some of the stray lines from the disc that have been swirling around in my head lately...

"I don't have the drugs to sort it out..."

"You're the voices swallowing my soul..."

"It's a terrible love and I'm walking with spiders..."

"Then I'm radio and, then I'm television, I'm afraid of everyone..."

"I was afraid I'd eat your brains, Cause I'm evil..."

And if you're thinking of taking a chance on this album, get the CD!  It's just a beautifully done project.  Nice, high-quality stock, cool photos.  Totally first class all around. Don't settle for mp3s.  Get the tangible, real thing.  It's worth it!




Blog Archive