Faux Fu

Saturday, March 10, 2012

Corporate Speak

I found myself in a situation where I had to do some of that mealy-mouthed corporate-speak that I used to do in another life.  It's like another language, and I used to be pretty good at it.  Especially when I could convince myself that what I was saying was true, or if not absolutely true, at least not total out and out lies.


It was a way to make a living.  And the living was pretty good.  And it's the way of life for millions of people in the corporate world.  Watch Mitt Romney speak pretty much about any topic and you'll see how it works.  You wonder if he actually believes anything he's saying.  But he says it unashamedly. And that facility at corporate speaking, corporate living  helped make him a millionaire many times over.


Anyway, it's all a soul-killer.  That type of life, that type of facility with corporate language destroys something inside a human being.  And if you've been away from it for awhile, like I have, it's really hard to muster up the energy to engage in it.  And turns out I really can't speak the language anymore.  I can mouth the words, but they are like ashes in my mouth.


And the other corporate types, I think they know, that I know, that they know, that I know it's all just a lie and a horrible way to speak, to think, and to live.  Turns out I can't really do it anymore.  I've been healed, or maybe from their perspective, I've been so badly demeaned, that I can't even fake it.


So those kind of corporate kingdoms don't open their doors to me anymore.  Some may think it's a curse, some may think it's a blessing.  I guess it depends on which side of the door you are on at the moment.  But there are better ways to live and to think and to speak.  Yes, much better ways.

Blog Archive