Faux Fu

Saturday, March 17, 2012

Our Alien Present!

Yes, well, you read a book and one idea, counter to the author's agenda just blows the whole thing (400 plus pages) away.  That was my reaction to William Gibson's idea of "atemporality" (see previous post).


Here's more Gibson: "The actual 21st century (is) richer, stranger, more multiplex, than any imaginary 21st could ever have been."


"The present is really of no width whatever..."  We need to investigate our "alien present..."


This woke me from my slumber.  It knocked upside the head.  It's very much a description of the world as I perceive it.  This over-stuffed era of everything/all the time has blown the doors off all the old narratives.


I find I have difficulty even reading fiction anymore.  Most of my reading over the last 10 years or so has been in the "non-fiction" category.  We are living in a very strange future now.  And the "future" is the past.  It's all just such a head-expanding place we find ourselves.


I find it disorienting and thrilling too.

Blog Archive