Faux Fu

Tuesday, March 06, 2018

Love This One! Surprise!



I must say, I am floored by this 2016 record by the Rolling Stones, "Blue and Lonesome." I had my doubts. The last Stones record that really impressed me was released in 1978. It was my friend who coaxed me into buying this record. I was prepared to be disappointed. Nope. Not disappointed at all. It is a fantastic record. Who knew we needed a new great, hard-hitting, sterling blues album in our record collection?

This one was recorded in 3 days. No overdubs. Classic, Urban, Chicago Blues. It just seems so right. So natural. This band of musicians stand up well to the classic Muddy Water's lineup featuring Little Walter. Or think of those classic sides from Howlin Wolf and Hubert Sumlin.

No blues cliches. These songs are illuminating. Thrilling. Surprising. The Stones aren't trying too hard. They are just embodying the blues. It's in their DNA. Plug in and let it fly. Jagger is one of the great blues vocalists and also a superb harmonica player. And of course Keith Richards and Ronnie Wood bring tremendous tone and feel to the party.

These old-timers found it on this record. Conjured that old Mojo. 
Love this one. Surprise!

Blog Archive