Faux Fu

Tuesday, February 06, 2024

Rebuilding Mojo...

How to rebuild (see previous post), your Mojo?

Slowly. One step at a time.

For instance, a restful sleep, a couple of nourishing meals, keeping busy making all your appointed rounds. You know, just embracing the day. Walking around in the neighborhood helps a bit. 

I fell back on some of my most essential activities. I listened to some great music from Peter Gabriel, King Crimson, Anders Parker, Steely Dan & Mogwai.

I am also reading "You Dreamed of Empires," by Alvaro Enrigue. Cortez the Killer, Montezuma, the Spanish Expedition, the Aztec empire, psychedlic murshrooms, tomatoes, and mole sauce. Really!  Brutal blood sacrifice, crazy-ass Shamans. It is all quite head-spinning, & a funny, wild ride. Captivating and fun.

I also, and maybe most definitely, took Jeff Tweedy's advice, "How to Write One Song," and wrote one song. Yes. A one-day, one afternoon, wonder. I played a borrowed, small-bodied, mahogony, Martin guitar, composed the lyrics in Google Docs, and played, and sang, into a small digital recorder.

The song came out in a flurry of emotion and motion. I submerged myself into the process. Time stood-still, and then it just flew by. Lately my last 3 songs have come out of negative stimulus; feeling low, out of sorts, and empty. 2 of those songs are now in our band's sets. Funny how that happens.

Not sure about this latest one. Newly-hatched. I really like the riffs, not sure about the lyrics. Pretty raw. But, for sure, a blast of creativity, complete. Not sure if it will make it's way to the band in our rehearsal room. Maybe? 

Mojo slowly starts to flow back. I cleared the darkness. Venturing back into the light. Yes, indeed, that's how to do it.

Blog Archive