Faux Fu

Wednesday, May 24, 2023

Nasty, Dirty Words...

Bad language. Science tells us that using curse words is good for us. My partner and I are experts at using "bad" words in normal, daily conversation. We both basically swear like "drunken sailors." It's kind of funny, and just so normal for us. As a young Catholic boy it was so liberating to hear George Carlin do his "seven dirty words" bit. Words not used on the air, words not used in polite conversation. If you were being polite, you just didn't say those nasty words in public. But you know, there is that obvious, "subversive mother-fucking" response: "Fuck That Shit!" Sometimes, for example, "Fuck" is just the perfect word to convey whatever you want to convey. Super-useful. Kind of the Swiss Army Knife of curses. When I was a wee lad  I did have this sneaking suspicion that I was paving a road to Hell, with all my bad language, but, you know, so the fuck what?!

The first time I heard "fucking" used in a song was John Lennon singing "Working Class Hero." It was a bit shocking, but also made me laugh out loud. Lennon telling his truth as plainly as he could imagine doing it. Perfect. Yes. Words. Just words. I have a faith and belief in words, well-chosen, perfectly-placed words. Often those nasty, dirty words are just the ticket. Plain, descriptive speaking. Something to be said for it, for sure. Are those words now over-used? Is it lazy to always be swearing? I don't think so. There is something satisfying about expertly-placed dirty words. They are great vehicles for emoting, and for dealing with all the stupid, fucking shit we have to put up with every fucking day. Just tune into the radio and listen to that Fat Orange-Headed Fuck who has dominated the conversation for way too many fucking years. Swearing at the radio in the morning is sort of liberating and life-affirming. Fuck Yeah!

Blog Archive