Faux Fu

Wednesday, April 28, 2021

Tough Job...

"Maximize empathy for all living things." I heard someone on the radio speak that sentence. Nice sentiment. A worthy goal. A way to try to live. Maybe our job is to not "try," but do? Maybe easier said than done?

I am aligned with the sentiment. Empathy for all seems like a smart, soulful, loving choice. I usually, or let's say primarily try to live that way. I cultivate my empathy for life and living things. Of course, it's a bit tricky and not easy, and often a challenge. What of the horrors, what of the assholes, what of the killers, the evil ones, the "bad people?" Or, you know, the people who do bad things. Often.

What of those who inflict suffering on others? 

It's a conundrum. My strategy, and I'm not saying it's a good one, I practice avoidance. You know walk away. Shut down. Cut off. Eliminate those people and those situations which are so clearly anti-life and anti-human. Get out of the way. Move on.

How to show empathy & compassion for someone who has no empathy or compassion? How to, (I almost hate to bring him up), do that "Jesus thing," and "Love thine enemies."

Fuck. That's a hard nut to crack. I find it easier to love nature, love all the pretty little creatures. Human Beings are another thing altogether. What a tricky species: complicated, complex, contrary, contradictory, mean, selfish, willfully ignorant, hateful, horrifying, cruel. Capable of great love and empathy AND intense hate and cruelty. 

It is hard to find empathy for the hateful and the cruel. Really. I mean it.

Blog Archive