Faux Fu

Saturday, December 26, 2020

Opening Lines...

Memory. 

My good friend tells me I have an amazing memory. Hah! I do for some things. Then again, there are long stretches of my life that seem like a blur. There are blanks and gaps everywhere. What happened in the 80's, the 90's? Hunh?!

I guess, I am good at remembering things that I remember, the things that made a deep impression me. Probably just like everyone else.  For instance, we were discussing favorite r&r albums, and I started rattling off great "opening lines" of opening songs on the albums that are seared into my DNA. I mean, these might be the greatest of the greatest opening lines, ever carved into vinyl (I mean, according to me). This subject came up when we were discussing Angelica Garcia's 2020 album. Her record is one of the finest, head-turning, inspiring & unique albums we purchased this year. This list is off the top of my head, no Googling. I think it tells a little story about me, in the remembering...

1. "I don't believe in death." - Angelica Garcia's album: "Cha Cha Palace" - (2020)
2. "Jesus died for somebody's sins, but not mine..." - Patti Smith's album: "Horses"  - (1975)
3. "Once upon a time, you dressed so fine, threw the bums a dime, in your prime, didn't you?"- Bob Dylan's album: "Highway 61 Revisited" - (1965)
4. "Mother, you had me, I never had you..." - John Lennon's album: "Plastic Ono Band"  - (1970)
5. "Please allow me to introduce myself, I am a man of wealth and taste..." - Rolling Stones' album: "Beggars Banquet" - (1968)
6. "The screen door slams, Mary's dress waves..." Bruce Springsteen's album: "Born to Run" - (1975)

The a.m soundtrack, it's a good one: The Flaming Lips "The Soft Bulletin" (1999). A fabulous blast of optimism, enthusiasm, intelligence & heart. Certainly a masterpiece r&r record. Not what you expect. Tremendous. Heart-warming. Head-opening. Hopeful. "Okies on Acid." Or maybe not. Opening lines from the opening song, "Race for the Prize:" "Two scientists are racing, For the good of all mankind, Both of them side-by-side, So determined..."

Blog Archive