Faux Fu

Saturday, December 05, 2020

Less than Bat-Shit Crazy...

It is a bit daunting to think that there are huge swaths of the American population that are bat-shit crazy. I mean, more batshit crazy than me. I mean, that's how it looks from my own private little Idaho.  

How do I know I'm not totally bat-shit crazy too?  I don't, really. I mean, I look to other, more sane, folks who seem to have their feet on the ground, their eyes on the prize, folks who are talking rationally, doing good works, being compassionate, loving and kind. They seem sane. So you sort of gravitate to them.

Of course, if rationality is just another mask we wear, some folks can wear the mask longer than others. But even rationality can lead you to the irrational ditch.  And what of "truths?" Some truths are just such hard medicine (see Oedipus), and who really wants to face the prospect of death, your own and of those you love? Not easy to just turn away and say "don't worry, be happy."  But that's our human conundrum in a nutshell.

Maybe, I can just lean to the light? 

Put me on the side of the clear light of reason and optimism, the rational, the calm, the clear-headed, those who believe in good works, in science, in math, in a better day. Yes, we are all gonna die, that's just nature, but in the meantime we are here to live. We must do our best with what we have... 

Is that crazy? Hmmm... maybe it's the good kind of crazy, and not that totally, irrational bat-shit crazy running thru the herd...

Blog Archive