Faux Fu

Saturday, July 25, 2009

A Little Bit of Divinity

I played with the Telepaths last night. It's always a kick. There's something about plugging in my Telecaster, cranking up my Fender Bassman Amp (a killer 90's reissue), and letting it rip. That combo of guitar and amp is divine. And I get to ride a little bit of that divinity.

The guitar and amp were truly made for each other. And my little guitar modifications really hot-rodded the sound of my guitar* - my Telecaster employs Custom Texas Tele pickups which I installed and soldered (messily!) myself. Maybe all that excess solder gives the guitar something extra?! Who knows!?

I do love that sound!

* This is for the guitar geeks: My Telecaster is a Mexican-made Thinline, mahogany, natural finish model. Fender discontinued making it. It's super light, and it's well-built. It's not a collectible (not a Vintage, American-made axe), I bought it at Guitar Center in 2002 for about $600. It's got a fine maple neck, it always stays in tune no matter how hard I beat on it. I installed brass saddles which I think gives it a little more bite and response. I think the hollow-body not only makes the guitar comfortably light, (good for my back), it makes the guitar extra-resonant, I can creatively use the feedback! I think because it's kind of a "cheap" guitar, I play it with more abandon. Sometimes I take it for granted, kind of like a great pair of worn boots. It's got personality. A trusted friend.

Blog Archive