Faux Fu

Sunday, September 12, 2004

Life is a Blur

After rehearsal yesterday, I wandered the city alone, took the Brown line to the Blue and tracked over to Wicker Park. I visited the Flat Iron building to see the Around the Coyote Fest, and especially, to visit my brother's studio.

It was quite the carnival scene: the mad, throbbing energy of 'needing, wanting, grasping,' humanity. I kind of floated around the building; every hallway, every nook and cranny overflowing with paintings and sculptures.

My brother introduced me to some of his fellow artists, creative people who are putting their work out into the world; a small clan of outsiders, marginal characters, kind of an extended family brought together by their creative sensibilities.

I thought my brother seemed 'at home,' his paintings, old friends, stood out, strange, fierce, beautiful. We've had our differences over the years, but we have much in common. There's only one person in the world I can truly call 'my brother.'

I took the train back north and met David (Black Forest's Set Designer) for dinner. We discussed 'Goodbar,' and reaffirmed our commitment to 'the good work.' We went to the Music Box and watched Lars Von Trier's 'The Five Obstructions,' an odd, inspiring, bewildering, puzzle of a film.

I took a taxi home, the windows down, the city scene rushing by in a blur. No sense in trying to 'interpret' the blur, I just speed along in my little bubble, looking forward to another day.

Blog Archive