Faux Fu

Tuesday, August 17, 2021

Latest Go-To Phrase...

It dawned on me that lately, and surprisingly, that my go-to phrase has been: "I don't know." 

It came to me organically. I am a person who normally thinks they kind of know what's going on.  I am no genius, but I am a reader, I am curious, I like to think that I understand what is happening in the world around me. When I was a wee lad I was kind of a smart aleck, you know, a young, whippersnapper who believed he knew a thing or two, and well, I thought I knew more than I really knew.

I used to have opinions about everything, thinking that made me "smart." But, you know,  I realize that is a foolish road. That is the Idiot's Way. You don't have to pop-off about everything under the sun. You don't have to have an opinion about everything, and really, the smart thing is silence. Sometimes being smart means you keep your head down and your mouth shut!

As I age. I have come to the realization that my knowledge, and experience is pretty limited, circumscribed, arbitrary, random, unorganized. I have my own life experience, but not sure it gives me much insight in the world that is unfolding around me. I have earned a new humility about my knowledge and experience.

So...

When the questions come up, lately, I have been resorting to my fall-back phrase...

What's Happening? I don't know.

How does it all turn out? I don't know.

Where are we going? I don't know.

Is it a happy ending? I don't know.

Are we gonna make it? I don't know.

Blog Archive