Faux Fu

Saturday, August 07, 2021

Buying Shit...

I am not a Marxist, but you know, I did read the Communist Manifesto in college, and it's got some good points. And no doubt, Karl Marx was a learned man, and when he analyzed and recounted the history of Capitalism,  it is fair to say he really did know what he was talking about. He did his work quite well.

And really, bottom line, there are the "haves" and the "have nots" and it is an eternal battle across time; who gets what, and when? And how do we reconcile living in a world where some have too much, and some have too little?

The redistribution of wealth seems like a capital idea. I think it's pretty clear food, clothing, shelter, healthcare and education should be free for all. It would make us a more just and righteous species. No doubt.

But you know, History is one thing, the Economy is another thing, but when it comes to Human Beings and how they act, it's all a twisted Psychology, a murky, quirky mystery-making subject. The mystery doesn't get us off the hook, it actually hooks us deeper and more irrevocably.

This is all a long-winded way of getting to my point. I was feeling a bit down a few days ago, and I decided to buy some shit. It's one of the things we all do here in our Capitalistic Paradise. We are all expert consumers here in USA. 

I am not the world's greatest shopper. I am only comfortable in bookstores and record stores. I am lost and uncomfortable pretty much everywhere else. "All that glitters is not gold."

I was feeling a bit blue. So, I did what any plucky American would do. I bought some shit. Online. Pandemic Online Shopping. 

What did I buy? I think my choices tell a little story...

I bought another Roberto Bolano novel named "Amulet."
I bought another Grateful Dead Live Album, "The Grateful Dead Live at Red Rocks."
And I bought a Dolly Parton t-shirt. Charcoal with a portrait of a young Dolly on the face of it. Thinking this will come handy when we play r&r shows.

And you know, just placing those orders, I immediately felt a bit better. That is the magic of the market. Buying shit.  It is kind of a kick. I'm thinking even K. Marx would get it.

Blog Archive