Faux Fu

Sunday, August 29, 2021

Declaration of Independence...

I was wrong. I fucked up. I had to have a re-think. I take total responsibility. Thinking of that song, "Nobody's Fault But Mine." I have no one to blame but myself. I can't point a finger at my parents, at my friends, at my relatives, at society, or my country. It was all me.

My life is my own. My Mind is my own. My experience is my own. As Patti Smith once sang: "Jesus died for somebody's sins, but not mine..."

Yes. My sins. I am happy to own them. I am the authority of me. My fuckups define my life, just as much, or maybe more than the decisions I look upon fondly. Fucking up is such a good teacher.

It's OK to be wrong. It is ok to change your mind. Better to be flexible, fungible, permeable, willing to morph, grow, evolve. A rigid mind is a dead space. 

Sift thru the evidence, sift thru the facts and come to new conclusions, or tentative answers, or at least new theories. That is sort of the Scientific Method. Test. Try. See if it works. Run the experiment and see if the theory matches up with the data.

I used to be a meat-eater. I am now a long-time vegetarian. I used to be an Atheist, (my reaction to being brought up Catholic), but now I am an Agnostic. I can come up with a definition of a Higher Power that is pretty abstract and nebulous. Abstract and Nebulous fits a lot of my Human Experience.

I am willing to change my mind. It's not an ego-blow. "Surrender Dorothy!" It's my life. Poke a hole in something I believe in, I am willing to re-examine. "Maybe I was wrong, that's ok, lets see what reality wants to show me." Being wrong, changing my mind, doesn't destroy my world-view. As the great Firesign Theater once pointed out: "Everything You Know is Wrong." Start out with that idea. And work from there.

It is not a bad way to clear the air, the space; clear the energy, clear your mind, and see what is in front of your nose. Clarity. Clear-consciousness. A worthy goal.  And "independence." Yes. Free from any tribe or club. A Human Being first. Earthling.

Honesty. It is the best policy. Easier to keep track. Truth will set you free. Even the hard truths.  Be willing to face the music. It's ok, we can handle it all... yes, no doubt...

Blog Archive