Faux Fu

Wednesday, November 26, 2008

"Get right with God." - Lovely Carla

I've been listening to lots of music on my iPod. I've loaded up full discs from the Beatles, Sigur Ros, Dylan, Neil Young, Arcade Fire, Sparklehorse, Rolling Stones, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Patti Smith, Radiohead, My Bloody Valentine, Nine Inch Nails, Van Morrison, Dire Straits, Jeff Beck, Jimi Hendrix, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Flaming Lips, Santana, Bruce Springsteen, The Who, Sonic Youth, Drive By Truckers and U2.

It's weird what you pick and choose. There's something about the intimacy of iPod. It is a very different listening experience. And since it's so small, you can take it anywhere, so it's like having a constant soundtrack to my life. I'm sort of in a rambling, shambling Wes Anderson or Martin Scorcese flick.

Short on plot, heavy on character, and odd situations.

Anyway, I loaded up U2's disc "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb." It has never been one of my favorites, (seemed too poppy, too lightweight) but over time it has really grown on me. I always loved the title, and the first song, "Vertigo," is one of their great pop singles.

Now after about 15 listens or so, I've come to love the whole thing. I realize (okay I was slow on the uptake) it's "spiritual" music. Bono is usually singing about God, and although you might think that's a little pretentious, he usually does it with maximum style, grace and panache. Plus the band is superb. This is excellent, mature, richly realized music from probably the best band ever to emerge from the Emerald Isle.

The music is uplifting, exhilarating...a strange feeling is creeping over me...

Blog Archive