Faux Fu

Monday, July 24, 2006

Makes Life Fun

Every morning I surf the blogs, heavy on politics, on Sundays I also usually buy a NY Times. Yesterday I was a little reluctant. If I buy it, I'm compelled to read it, and lately the news has been weighing heavy on the psyche...but I bought a copy anyway, thinking it's my responsibility to see what's up with the world, at least according to the MSM...

After, paging through the Week in Review (really the whole week, and everything important too?), I jumped to the Arts section to find "The Return of the Dolls, What's Left of Them." Excellent news, the New York Dolls (at least two of the survivors) are back with a new album...

I actually saw the legendary New York Dolls back in 1974 or '75 on tour with Aerosmith (new band out of Boston) and Mott the Hoople (I think Ian Hunter's shades were affixed to his face with superglue). It was my first exposure to the actual embodiment of the concept "transvestite," I remember David Johanssen clomping around in these unruly high heels, rocking out like combination of Little Richard, Mick Jagger and Carol Burnett...

Anyway, for every "bad" news story, I'm searching for a "good" one. This article is a good one. The Dolls have a new song, "Dance Like a Monkey" - "evolution is so obsolete, got to stomp your hands and clap your feet." And just why does David keep at it? "I mean, I have my ideas about music and rock and roll and all that kind of stuff...I don't know if it's actually necessary for the species, but it sure makes life fun."

That's good enough for me too...

Blog Archive