Faux Fu

Saturday, August 19, 2023

Who You Meet...

Who you meet…

I wrote about seeing Son Volt on Thursday night (see previous post). There was an opening act. We didn't know there was an an opener when we arrived for the show & when he walked out on stage, no introduction, with a long beard, wearing a cowboy hat, carrying a Martin acoustic guitar. Our first thought, maybe Jay Farrar, Son Volt's front-man, had a radical make-over & transformation.

As soon as he started singing we knew, nope, it wasn't Jay. 

It was Anders Parker. He was amazing. One lone singer & guitar player. He was singing songs from his latest album "The Black Flight." (2023). A loose collection of story songs about his great-uncle Leslie Hunter Parker, a fighter-pilot killed in a dog-fight in Belgium in World War I. The so-called Great War. 

He captivated, enthralled. He really did hold the audience in a spell with his words, his guitar playing, his entrancing voice. Not an easy thing to do. A lone performer like that is totally exposed. Nowhere to hide. Every picked note, every syllable launched into the air naked. 

After his incredibly satisfying set I told my companion I had to meet the man. 

I needed to know how he was getting that fabulous, rich, powerful acoustic guitar sound. That is one of my own personal obsessions. Always looking for a mythic, perfect, soul-full, resonant tone. You know they say the sound that a player gets is "in the fingers," it also helps to have well-made, long-traveled guitars. The wood ages, the sound gets better over time. When it comes to acoustic guitars, older, more worn and beat, the better. Maybe it's the same with players too?!

I wandered over to the sound-booth and asked the sound tech how she got such a good acoustic guitar sound in the room. She told me it was just a direct-connect from the DI box to the soundboard. Ha. Pretty cool. And rare. Usually a direct-connect like that leads to thin, tinny, jangling sound. At least that has been my sorry experience.

I saw that Anders had appeared behind the merchandise table. I told my companion we had to go meet the man. And, if we went to talk to him, we just had to buy some merchandise. We did, and we did.

We introduced ourselves and talked music & guitars. I asked Anders what kind of pickup he had on his guitar, he told me it was a K&K pickup. Happy to say that is what I use too. Plus he uses an old LR. Baggs pre-amp. Hmmm. Might have to check that out although I use a K&K pre-amp, pretty happy with it.

I asked about his picking technique. On his picking hand he uses a thumb-pick, and he has his other finger-nails professionally manicured; he displayed his fingers, the nails were naturally-polished, and sharpened. Every finger on his picking hand is basically a pick. That is the bluegrass way. I wonder if I should try it? I use a hybrid-technique favored by the great Richard Thompson, pick held between thumb and forefinger, the other fingers free to pick. I don't use my fingernails, instead, I use the soft pads of my fingers.

I wondered to myself, do I need a total re-think, and a new technique? Not sure, but that's an interesting question, subject to further review.

Anyway, it was nice, friendly, easy conversation at the merch table. Anders is quite the soft-spoken, gentle, intelligent soul. We bought a CD version of "The Black Flight," and a cool gold and faded-red Anders Parker T-shirt. Two new fans. You know, in the music biz it's all about the merch, we were happy to shell out some cash directly to the man. 

I am listening to Anders Parker singing and playing this morning on the box. Fanstastic album. One of my new favorites, both artist and album. 

Who you meet… yes…indeed… who you meet can change your life… open your heart and head, lead you to new directions and connections...

Blog Archive