Faux Fu

Wednesday, August 09, 2023

Usual & Unusual...

Yesterday, in the lap of luxury, we had a pool party. A one-person pool party happened while I strummed a borrowed guitar. I am playing the caretaker once again at an incredible lakefront home. Fabulous, secret-garden backyard with a built-in pool. My companion came over with her bathing suit and took a dip, while I sat at a pool-side table and stumbled across a new riff. 

Make a routine & break a routine. 

That's the way to do it. There was the familiar and the strange, the usual and unusual. The pool party was a great success. Total fun. The water was warm and welcoming. My companion was thrilled.

I sat, guitar in hand, my fingers stumbled across a random fret and suddenly a note beckoned. I strummed the note and thought, that could be the beginning of a song. That's how it usually happens. An unusual move or gesture leads to some kind of breakthrough. It helps to have a guitar in hand, to be relaxed, clear and open, not thinking about music, just strumming.

Funny how being in different place often leads to a new riff or chord progression. Funny how often borrowed guitars lead to new ideas. Funny how doing something uncommon can be uncommonly great. We chalked it up as a good day. Sometimes it's the tiniest of things that lead to the greatest satisfaction. 

There is a lesson there, no doubt.

Blog Archive