Faux Fu

Friday, January 20, 2023

Schlepping & Luxury...

I do live the "life of a schlepper," you know, I come from a long line of working stiffs. And that's ok. Some days I feel lucky that I have a job to do. A reason to get up, and get out into the world. I avoid toxic people at all costs, I don't answer to anyone I don't respect, or trust. I can be very selective on what I do, and the clients for whom I do the work.

But sometimes I think I do live a life of luxury. For instance, yesterday, late afternoon, I found myself on the couch with my amazingly fabulous headphones (Grado Prestige series 325x), and a little maroon Sony Walkman (late 1990's model) perched on my chest. I am a fool for old, well-made, well-preserved, tech; I love spinning those shiny silver discs on a portable player. 

I think of these couch sessions as musical therapy. I go into a sort of trance, and let the sonic waves wash over me. I find these sessions so renewing, refreshing, & recharging. I did a long, meandering listening session yesterday. What did I listen to? A pretty interesting mix of albums, and yes, I am one of those folks who believes a record album is one of our highest art-forms:

Eleventh Dream Days' "Ursa Major"  (1994) - Crashing. Crazy-Horse-Like.
Mogwai's "Happy Songs for Happy People" (2003) - Vivid. Powerful.
Nick Cave & Warren Ellis' "Carnage" (2021) Transcendent. Luxurious.
Nick Cave & Co. -  "Grinderman 2"  (2010) - Vivacious. Audacious.

This morning feeling clear-headed. Fortified.

Blog Archive