Faux Fu

Monday, January 09, 2023

Another Day of Slack...

Sunday was another day of slack for me. A slacker? Yes. I can slack with the best of them. Don't they say that Sunday is a day of rest? I rested. I meditated, but I did no praising of the Lord. Slack was the theme. I never left our apartment. I did a bit of writing. My partner and I had a long, rambling, never-ending conversation before, after and during lunch, about our week of recording, and the next steps. I listened to music. Again I turned to the "desert blues" of Tinariwen: "Elwan" (2017). The last song on the record, "Nànnuflày," features the only words in English, sung by great,  long-lost-soul, Mark Lanegan:
"No sleepwalking
Don’t keep me apart
I’m through sleepwalking
God be in my heart
No morе sleepwalking
Been asleep too long
No more sleepwalking
Keep me with you god"

That's right. Slacking is cool. Sleepwalking is not.

We also watched "Amsterdam" (2022), David O. Russel's fantastic movie. I knew nothing about it, just stumbled across it. I guess the critics were not kind and the audience didn't materialize. But you know what? It is a fucking great movie. A rollicking good story. Masterful film-making. Tremendous cast. Loosely-based on real events. A bit of history, that is so of the moment too. Can't imagine Nazis in America? Imagine it. Then and now. Another example of sometimes you should just not listen to anyone else. Watch the movie. It's the good work. No doubt. A perfect capper to a day of slack.

Blog Archive