Faux Fu

Thursday, January 26, 2023

It's All About the Gear...

Extreme conditions, ok, maybe that is overstating things, maybe not exactly extreme conditions yesterday, just cold, sloppy, snowy. The kind of weather that reveals the flaws in your gear. Those cool-looking, super-comfortable UGG boots that you love just don't cut it. It quickly became clear that those boots  absorb the cold & wetness like sponges, turning one's feet into wet, freezing appendages. Yikes. And those serious-looking North Face gloves, turned out to be pretenders too. Marketing over reality. Finger-tips turning to ice. Later in the day I had to recalibrate. Back to my black, heavy-duty Timberland boots. They bring a certain gravity to every step; water-proof, battle-tested. And I found a different set of gloves that did a better job keeping my hands warm. I need those toes and fingers. That's the acid-test at the end of the day. Is everything still in working order? Yes. I made it. Didn't fall down either, although I was doing quite a bit of slipping and sliding. Dancing on snow and ice. 

Blog Archive