Faux Fu

Sunday, June 28, 2020

What's the Narrative, Jimmy?!

"What's the frequency, Kenneth?"

"What's the Frequency, Kenneth?" is a song by the American alternative rock band R.E.M. from their 1994 album Monster. The song's title refers to an incident in New York City in 1986, when two then-unknown assailants attacked journalist Dan Rather, while repeating "Kenneth, what is the frequency?".

Right. Poor Dan Rather.

This morning, I wonder, "What's the Narrative, Jimmy?"

Are we on a sinking ship? Are we in the deep, dark, woods looking for a way to a clearing?

Have the bad actors overwhelmed us? Are we working towards some kind of grand reconciliation? Are we doomed, or are we soon about to be saved?

Or really is it "none of the above?" Another "incomplete" in the slowly unfolding scheme of life?

Maybe we make our own narrative? Keep it simple, keep it small, and local. I did this, then this, then this, etc. Maybe that will have to do. I just don't know.

The a.m. soundtrack - Dave Spector's "Blues from the Inside Out." (2019). I know a guy, who knows a guy, who knows this guy. Turns out Dave Spector lives in my neighborhood. I needed some advice, I reached out to Dave, and he did me a favor, showed me a bit of kindness, and it looks like it set me on a positive course. So this record is personal. Urban blues. Modern, urban blues. Some great electric guitar. Lots of energy and style. Features lots of great musicians including Jorma Kaukonen from the Jefferson Airplane and Hot Tuna. Good stuff. Well played, goes some places I didn't expect. Recommended.

Blog Archive