Faux Fu

Thursday, October 03, 2019

Can You Die From Hiccups?

I am the optimistic sort. I recently came down with a nasty cold, and my first thought, "Well, maybe this will be a little reset?" I have had that experience where I'm feeling "under the weather," makes me a bit more careful, quiet, observant. I am forced to slow down, take care. And then when I recover from a cold I feel better than ever, almost euphoric. Funny. I find myself thinking of the upside of a nasty cold.

This A.M. my first question: Can you die from hiccups? Yes, it was that kind of night. I had a coughing fit last night, which then led to the hiccups. There was a brief moment of panic, "What if I never stop hiccuping? Will I die?" That actually crossed my mind. The answer? Probably not. Thank god, it really would be a silly way to go.

"Charles Osborne hiccupped for 68 years straight and holds the Guinness Book record for the longest bout of hiccups." 

Yikes! That is a major bout of hiccups. So. What happened with my bout of hiccups? I was laying in bed, hiccuping like mad, and the thought popped into my head, "Go to the kitchen, pour yourself a glass of Aloe Vera Juice, and drink it, pronto!" Really, I swear.

And you know what? It worked. I drank a glass of Aloe Vera Juice, and also a glass of mineral water and the hiccups totally disappeared. No Guinness Book of World Records for me.

Blog Archive