Faux Fu

Sunday, October 19, 2014

Found My Voice!

I got it into my head that I wanted to master the art of harmony singing. Really. I can always find time for my own crazy obsessions, and I happen to be living on my own right now with 4 little birds. And the birds have no real say in what I do, or don't do.

So, armed with a little digital recorder, a set of headphones, an acoustic guitar, and my voice, I have been singing and recording cover songs and working out harmony parts, and then overdubbing those parts. I didn't even realize I could do it. So just the doing is sort of empowering. 

I'm not saying it all sounds great, my voice is an acquired taste, even for me, but I have been surprised at my own vocal range. I can hear the notes in a chord and then sing the note. So I've worked out duo parts and trio parts. How self-indulgent. A duo and trio of me!

I guess in a way, it's sort of a very particular kind of "self abuse!" I do wonder about the neighbors, but hell, it's a free country, right?! Some of the songs I'm singing include: Dead Flowers by the Stones, Knocking on Heaven's Door by Dylan, Rain by the Beatles, Baby it's You by the Shirelles (the Beatles covered it too), and Redemption Song by Bob Marley.

Some of my all-time favorite songs. Anyway, I don't own the copyright on any of these songs, so I won't be posting them anywhere. It's all just practice. But it is all consuming. It's the good work. I have found my voice! After all this time...

Blog Archive