Faux Fu

Monday, May 05, 2014

The Children of the 1% Have the Right to Rock Too!?

I am sympathetic to Sean Lennon. I mean, it must be an incredible "double-edged sword" to be the son of a famous rock and roll couple. A great privilege and a heavy burden.

I was surprised at my own reaction to Sean's latest band, I thought, "Children of the 1%!" It's all so well-posed, so perfectly-fashioned.  You think, "so stylish... so precious." Why does it all seem sort of silly?

Sean seems like the little boy in the bubble. Maybe he's trying too hard to be cool? I know it's all unfair, he can't help who he is, he can't help that he comes from money, he can't help that he's got a beautiful, fashion-model type girlfriend. He can't help that his band is perfectly outfitted with snazzy duds and the coolest, most hip instruments...

Why does it all seem so posed, so inauthentic? What does inauthentic even mean in our pop culture world? What is authenticity? Does it matter? Why am I even asking myself these questions?

I don't know. My own thoughts on Sean and his band made me uncomfortable. I mean the children of the 1% have a right to make music too. And they do sort of look cool... right?!

Blog Archive