Faux Fu

Thursday, May 22, 2014

Questlove on Hip-Hop!

I've been reading Questlove's series on Hip-Hop... if I was to sum it up, (which is a sort dumb thing to do, I mean, it's probably best to just read it for yourself), he's exploring how a musical form which started out as kind of a radical, underground voice of the dispossessed, became ubiquitous, and pretty vacant. I always thought the celebration of bling has always been a little bit ridiculous, even if it was intended to be sort of ridiculous. Hip-Hop has become another form of vacuous Pop which equals lots of $. People can't seem to get enough of mindless catchy grooves about bling and partying. I mean it's fun, right?! Once it's ubiquitous, it's basically dead. Anyway, Questlove says it all much better than I, and with a lot more insight and detail...

Blog Archive