Faux Fu

Monday, September 09, 2013

Wanda Jackson Kicks Serious Ass!


Over the weekend, our local 2nd Hand Tunes closed their doors. Sign of the times. I will really miss that special meditative time I spent browsing through stacks of CDs.  Surfing the internet is just not the same satisfying kick.

Picked up a handful of CDs really cheap.  One of the best is Wanda Jackson's Jack White produced "This Party Ain't Over." I think it's a great disc.  Lots of cool song choices - songs from Bob Dylan, Amy Winehouse, Jimmy Rogers and Morey Amsterdam (Dick Van Dyke Show!).

It is a rollicking good time. It's definitely got a 1950's, Sun Studios vibe, but it's overstuffed with a big, loose sound, including horns and some really cool, kick-ass guitar playing from Jack White. And Wanda Jackson has a very distinctive voice.  Sort of cartoony, but expressive and cutting too. Wanda Jackson kicks serious ass on the album.  There is a great rockabilly vibe that permeates it all. And it is a party!

I was recently knocked out by Jack White's album "Blunderbuss" and I think he definitely explored some great ideas with Wanda on this album that also paid off later on his solo disc.  Love the band and the production, and once the smoke clears, I find I'm a big Wanda Jackson fan! Rock on Wanda!

Blog Archive