Faux Fu

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Gloriously Sad and Mournful!

So I'm working on Neil Young songs for our special show in September. It is pure pleasure. Something about his music and sensibility just resonate with me. Some people think he's sad or mournful. For me, even the sad, mournful songs, or no, maybe especially the sad, mournful ones just always give me an adrenaline kick. Maybe something to do with my obsession with death?!

I picked a bunch of tunes to do without thinking too hard, they are just some of the favorites that immediately popped into my head. Upon reflection, I'm thinking there is a theme. Here are my picks with my capsule descriptions:

1. Needle and the Damage Done - a short acoustic ditty about heroin addiction and early death.
2. Tonight's the Night - a haunting D minor tune about heroin addiction and early death.
3. Powderfinger - a haunting, mytho-poetic novella in song-form about violent death on the river.
4. Down By the River - a lament, and an extended jam about violent death on the river.
5. Fucking Up - a raucous rocker about fucking up!
6. Cowgirl in the Sand - a glorious anthem about (I think!) a relationship gone south.

That's the mini-set. Should be a raucous night of good fun! Gloriously sad and mournful too!

Blog Archive