Faux Fu

Monday, May 12, 2008

The Chicago Blues

I grew up in Chicago Land at a time when Chicago Blues was still alive. I mean, it's alive today too. Buddy Guy is still keeping the flame going, but when I was in my late teens and early twenties most of the Chicago originators were still alive. I had a great friend, I'll call him Poppa John who was a lilly-white, red-haired, long drink of water, who was an absolute blues fanatic. He was also an amazing blues harmonica player in his own right. We used to go to clubs all over the city chasing after the blues legends. Sometimes Poppa John even got up and jammed with them too.

Some of the great blues cats we saw include: Willie Dixon, Muddy Waters, Hound Dog Taylor, Howling Wolf, Otis Rush, Koko Taylor, Son Seals, Carey Bell, Furry Lewis, Bukka White, James Cotton, Junior Wells. Also this guy - J.B. Hutto. I caught him at a Wise Fools show. I'll never forget him - he played an old Airline guitar, a crappy Montgomery Wards model (later made famous by Jack White of the White Stripes), he was wearing one those funny hats you see Shriners wear. He was quiet, friendly, but had a sort of other-worldly thing hanging about him.

Anyway, I thought about him this morning and well of course there's a YouTube! Unfortunately, he isn't wearing the hat.

Blog Archive