Faux Fu

Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Pissed-Off-Ness is the Mother of Invention!

I've found, surprisingly, that one of the key ingredients to "creativity" is pissed-off-ness. I'm always trying to find space, peace, enlightenment, flow, and I think much of my best work comes from those places, but what's amazing is usually that's not enough, you need a little extra spice, some "fucked-up-ness" to enter into the picture. I've found this is usually a spur to some new breakthrough, an extra willingness to take a risk. It's a "chip on your shoulder" type of energy. Lennon's comment: "We (the Beatles) were the biggest bastards, we knew we were the best godamned band in the world." Or what's that Lombardi line? "When the going gets tough, the tough get going." Or that classic cliche: necessity is the mother of invention (see Zappa sitting on the crappa)! Hell, it's all true!

Blog Archive