Folk #1: Derailed by a bug, a germ. Being in close proximity to other Human Beings can be detrimental to one's health. People; they are the solution & the problem. Even if you take precautions, wash your hands frequently, eat well, sleep fairly well, etc, talking, and hanging out with, other Human Beings can be a crapshoot. I came down with a little garden-variety cold, but it really
knocked me out. I spent most of yesterday afternoon in a comfy chair, watching the Chicago Bears Offense dominate the other team in North Carloina. Seems the Bears really have a Quarterback, a great Coach, a powerful Offense, and a fairly-lame Defense. It's gonna make for a spicy season. Football, I suppose, it's one my 'guilty pleasures." I know it's a violent game,
"every play is a car crash," there's all the over-amped hoopla and hype, but I come from a long ancestral line of Chicago Bear fans. It almost seems like a familial duty to check in, keep the tradition alive.
I am a Zen Football fan. I don't bet on games, I don't have a Fantasy Football Team. I try to be clear-eyed, clear-headed. Not too emotionally over-wrought. One my tools for the Zen approach to a game, turn the sound down, and put on a mix of great albums. I ride the vibe of the music while I watch the game. It's a distancing techniquie. Super-enjoyable!
So, what the was the soundtrack for the afternoon? A 5-CD mix set to "random play." Featuring a few of the greatest vocalists of any era: Aretha Franklin, Stevie Wonder, Jeff Tweedy & Wilco, Ray Charles, Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds. It really, really worked. The game was a kick, the music was a much needed booster shot. That's entertainment, folks...